[collectd] collectd-ping: will not retry hostname lookup after startup

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Thu Oct 26 22:38:45 CEST 2006

Hi,

> > Since the
> > removal from the linked list is somewhat tricky, I'd appreciate it if
> > someone could double-check the code..

Imho it's fine :-)

> Apparently the problem Simon has here is, that his resolv.conf is
> changed _after_ collectd has been started. As far as I know this is the
> libc's business and I am not to fiddle with it. I. e. it's the libc's
> responsibility to reread the file when it changes.

Well, as far as I could see from a small check using strace libc does handle
this correctly (by rereading /etc/resolv.conf any time getaddrinfo is called).
I guess the problem is that collectd (liboping) does not try to resolve the
hostname again after it has been added successfully. Simon, could you please
comment on that? However, I do not see any solution how to solve this
properly :-/

Cheers,
Sebastian

PS: The MySQL plugin suffers from the same problem that Simon was originally
addressing in his bug report. Imho this should be fixed as well.

--
Sebastian "tokkee" Harl
GnuPG-ID: 0x8501C7FC