[collectd] collectd-ping: will not retry hostname lookup after startup

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Thu Oct 26 22:58:45 CEST 2006

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 10:38:45PM +0200, Sebastian Harl wrote:
> > > Since the removal from the linked list is somewhat tricky, I'd
> > > appreciate it if someone could double-check the code..
> Imho it's fine :-)

Okay, it's merged into the `collectd-3.10' and the `master' branch,
which I have just pushed to the repository.

> I guess the problem is that collectd (liboping) does not try to
> resolve the hostname again after it has been added successfully.

Correct: The socket is created and as long as it's valid (which is
likely `forever') no new socket is created. This, of course, would mean
that even re-translating the hostname wouldn't be enough.

A possible solution would be to re-translate the hostname once every n
Seconds (with n definitely being larger than 60) and re-opening the
socket when the address changes. I don't like this, because
- it's quite complex code for a rare case, and
- it causes new problems with round-robin DNS load balancing.

Another solution, OTOH, seems easy and solves the problem at it's roots:
If you have problem with the DNS for whatever reason, simply resolve the
name `by hand' and configure using the IP-address.

> The MySQL plugin suffers from the same problem that Simon was
> originally addressing in his bug report. Imho this should be fixed as
> well.

You're talking about no trying to connect when the network is down/
unusable at startup? I'll fix that tomorrow or on the weekend..