[collectd] collection.cgi not displaying load.rrd graph

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Wed Nov 1 10:02:57 CET 2006

Hi Patrick,

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 10:35:13AM -0500, Patrick Wong wrote:
> Sorry for the delay response, Florian!

no problem, I'm not the fastest responder myself, these days :/

> The rest of the graphs were displayed correctly except for the LOAD.
> There is a stub broken image there between cpu and memory usage graph
> for what's suppose to be the load's graph.

Okay, I mainly wanted to know if `collection.cgi' finds the RRD-file and
_tries_ to generate a graph. Unknown RRD-files are ignored, so the
(broken) image there is a good thing ;)

> [root at versa10 lics01.versasys.com]# rrdtool fetch load.rrd AVERAGE -s
> 'now -2 minutes'
> timestamp    shortterm         midterm           longterm
>
> 1162221180:  nan  nan  nan
> 1162221240:  nan  nan  nan
> 1162221300:  nan  nan  nan
> 1162221360:  nan  nan  nan

That's weird: The RRD-file is only created, if values are submitted. Is
your system so busy that the load is higher than 100? In that case try
increading the maximum:
  rrdtool tune <filename> --maximum shortterm:1000
  rrdtool tune <filename> --maximum midterm:1000
  rrdtool tune <filename> --maximum longterm:1000

> Interesting! It seems like no value had been collected! I think the
> collection.cgi script will only generate the graph if there's something
> to display.

No, that's not the case. If there are no values, an empty graph will be
displayed.

> Attached is the collection.cgi script, which comes with the rpm
> package for redhat es 4.4 which I made no changes.

The script looks alright. Maybe I could ask you one more favor: Could
you send the output of `rrdtool info /path/to/load.rrd'? Thanks ;)