[collectd] CollectD 3.9.2/3 source install on a Gentoo box...

David Elliot daveelliot at gmail.com
Sun Jun 25 04:19:59 CEST 2006

Hi CollectD,

I've noticed with (source) releases 3.9.2 and 3.9.3 that the
installation step deposits the files into /opt/collectd rather than
/usr/local/collectd that the docco suggests.

The install also doesn't copy in the collectd.conf file to
/opt/collectd/etc where it's needed, so users will need to do that
manually post-install.  Also the lib files in
/opt/collectd/lib/collectd/ need to be manually copied into
/usr/lib/collectd.

What's getting me now (on a Gentoo box) is that with everything done
as I'd done before (on a SLES box - where collectd is running great) -
I get this error message when trying to start up collectd:

>From command line:
Option `DataDir' is not valid in this mode!
Option `PIDFile' is not valid in this mode!
Error: Reading the config file failed!
Read the syslog for details.

>From /var/log/daemon.log:
Jun 24 22:15:51 localhost collectd[10621]: Invalid value for config
option `Mode': `Local'
Jun 24 22:15:51 localhost collectd[10621]: lc_process_file
(/opt/collectd/etc/collectd.conf): /opt/collectd/etc/collectd.conf:9:
Error return from application handler.

My collectd.conf file does have an entry for:

Mode    Local

Is that good or bad ?

Many thanks,

David Elliot