[collectd] collectd-3.7.1 compile error, et. al.

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Feb 18 00:46:15 CET 2006

Hello guys,

sorry for not being very productive the last couple of weeks, but I'm
stuck with a lot of work right now, so when I come home I'm not too
motivated to do even more programming..

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 09:34:26PM +0100, Werner Heuser wrote:
> But in /var/lib/collectd I can't find a rrd file for the battery.
> LoadPlugin battery in /etc/collectd.conf is set.

That doesn't really surprise me, to be honest.. My laptop only has
an `PMU' (power management unit) and the code for that works fine. The
code for ACPI was, as Sebastian pointed out, written based on a few
lines pasted in IRC; iirc they're still in the sources somewhere.. If
anyone gives me (temporarily) access to his laptop or sends a patch I'll
happily fix this..

> Alright battery.c does only show ACPI and PMU and handles multiple
> batteries apparently. Therefore this should be made clear in the man
> page.

You're right, I'll fix that asap (i.e. tomorrow ;)

> But running `make' shows:
> network.c:47: error: static declaration of 'operating_mode' follows non-static declaration
> collectd.h:203: error: previous declaration of 'operating_mode' was here

The declaration in `collectd.h' seem to be missing the `#if HAVE_LIBRRD'.
The strange thing is that I never ran into that problem for some
reason.. And I certainly built the OpenWrt package without linking to
librrd..

> - the temperature file in the contrib directory has an entry:
>   FILE="/var/lib/collectd/sensors-w83697hf-temp1.rrd"
>   This name scheme prevents it to run with its default
>   rrd file.

You should use `contrib/museum/collection.cgi' which is the only script
under `contrib/' I still use, and therefore the only one being remotely
usable.. As it's pointed out in the readme these scripts are meant as a
kickstart for own experiments and by no means anywhere near `stable'.
Their state is pretty much `works for me'..

> BTW: does rrdtool provide a way to draw ASCII graphs? I checked the
> docs as well as Google but didn't find an answer.

I don't know of a ready-to-use solution, but using `rrdtool fetch'
together with a simple shell- or perl-script should do the trick..