[collectd] collectd-3.7.1 compile error, et. al.

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Fri Feb 17 23:29:00 CET 2006

Hi,

>   But in /var/lib/collectd
>   I can't find a rrd file for the battery.
>   LoadPlugin battery in /etc/collectd.conf is set.

Same applies for me. As the ACPI code is based on information provided by me,
I will try to trace down the problem during the next days. I didn't test this
plugin until now ;-)

strace did show me that /proc/acpi/battery/BAT1/state (which is the right file
in my case) was read by collectd - however not much happened after that...

> - I wondered whether the battery plugin is based
>   on the old APM standard or newer ACPI and how many
>   batteries does it handle. Alright battery.c does only
>   show ACPI and PMU and handles multiple batteries apparently.

AFAIK, you're right... this plugin does not support APM. It should handle all
batteries found on the system.

> - So I decided to get the Debian source package und check
>   whether the battery plugin is compiled into it.

Did you use the 3.7.1 tarball or did you use a Subversion checkout?

To check if the battery module is present, you can simply look for
/usr/lib/collectd/battery.so ;-)

> network.c:47: error: static declaration of 'operating_mode' follows non-static declaration
> collectd.h:203: error: previous declaration of 'operating_mode' was here
> make[3]: *** [collectd-network.o] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Those are lines 44 thru 48 of network.c:

44  #ifdef HAVE_LIBRRD
45  extern int operating_mode;
46  #else
47  static int operating_mode = MODE_CLIENT;
48  #endif

As the error occurs on line 47, this means you don't have librrd*-dev
installed. How could you build the package without it? librrd*-dev is a build
dependency.

Anyway, this looks like a bug to me ;-) However, I don't know exactly which
changes are implied by not having HAVE_LIBRRD defined.

> - the temperature file in the contrib directory has an entry:
>   FILE="/var/lib/collectd/sensors-w83697hf-temp1.rrd"
>   This name scheme prevents it to run with its default
>   rrd file.

Well, the second part of the name ("w83697hf" in this case) is an identifier
of the chip. You have to adjust it to the name of your chip...

> BTW: does rrdtool provide a way to draw ASCII graphs?

None that I know of.

Cheers,

Sebastian "tokkee" Harl
GnuPG-ID: 0x8501C7FC