[collectd] Script to add more detailed RRAs

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Apr 22 13:38:12 CEST 2006

Hello everybody,

starting with version 3.9.0 collectd uses a different set of RRAs. The
most noteable result is that hourly statistics look _much_ nice.
However, I have many RRD files which I don't want to re-create because
they have so much data in them.
Since changing the step of existing RRAs is next to impossible and
because I didn't find a generic script/tool to add RRAs to an existing
RRD file I wrote a very very simple script that adds three RRAs: One for
minimum, maximum and average, each with a ten second step and 2200 rows
(~6 hours).

WARNING:
  The script is a total hack and nowhere near stable. It's a
  works-for-me kind of thing. If you use it make sure you have backups
  and test it extensively before using it on live data. I warned you!

The results are graphs with a jaw-dropping resolution. See for youself:
<http://collectd.org/images/temp/load-hires.png>

The script is in the subversion repository. If you just want to get the
script without installing subversion or checking out the entire
repository you can get it at the following URL:
<http://subversion.verplant.org/collectd/trunk/contrib/add_rra.sh>

Regards and good luck ;)