[collectd] Proposal for collectd version numbering scheme

Muralito muralito at montevideo.com.uy
Sat Apr 22 23:30:35 CEST 2006

Hi,

During the past months i have seen what seems to ba a fast growing in
the collectd version number.

Obviosuly collectd is in active development, but in general it's hard to
update software without being confident that the software will work as
expected, and the fast numbering

IMHO, if the development process is not affected, maybe it's better to
have a clear version numbering scheme (i googled for it and haven't
found anything related to collectd).

Maybe having a stable release, and a testing or unstable release (I
supose that most of us could only install the stable release on some
servers, and the test version on a few test server(s).) Maybe this is
not good because less people will be testing?

I haven't seen the code, but other way could be to release two packages,
one for the core an another one with the plugins. The idea behind this
is that the core will be stable and have fewer releases than the
plugins. Just like nagios and nagios-plugins.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Muralito.