[collectd] sme howto questions

Hans-Cees Speel hanscees at hanscees.com
Thu Oct 27 23:07:15 CEST 2005

Hi,
I have made a collectd howto at:
http://www.hanscees.com/sme7/collectdforsme7howto.html

It is discussed here:
http://contribs.org/modules/pbboard/viewtopic.php?p=122588#122588

To improve my howto I have some questions:

1. I would like to use the latest version of collectd. Would it be
possible to make a new source-rpm, or even better an rpm for sme-
compatible centos4/rhe4?

2. The collection.cgi works fine to make one-day graphics. But can
you give it arguments to produce week/month graphs and so on?
The collection.cgi script would really benefit by a man page or
something. Or does that exist somewhere?

3. I find it very hard to hack collection.cgi myself (I speak a bit
perl but not object oriented I am afraid). It would be very nice if
one could include other stuff as well easily. Perhaps just week/month
graphs. But for instance sme has dnscache as caching dns server. One
could make an RRD database with number of queries and so on. But I
have no clue howto include that (this might be just me). Or howto
exclude some stats you do not care about.

Thanks for making collectd, since there was not really something else
to monitor cpu and so on (without snmp).

greetings

Hans-Cees

Hans-cees Speel @ http://www.hanscees.com
Trees @ http://www.bomengids.nl