[liboping] Cygwin attempt, For the Record

Soren A wetware.interrupt at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 30 04:14:29 CET 2008

Greetings :)

In regards to my report on build-attempt on the Cygwin
meta-platform [ ;-) ] Florian Forstor has replied:

--- <octo at ...> wrote:

> Hi Soren,
>
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 12:48:48PM -0800, Soren A wrote:
>> liboping.c:241: error: `ICMP_ECHOREPLY' undeclared (first use
> in this function)
>> liboping.c:346: error: `AF_INET6' undeclared (first use in this
> function)
>> liboping.c:945: error: `EAI_SYSTEM' undeclared (first use in
> this function)

> these are some fundamental defines in the C library - at least
> `AF_INET6' and `EAI_SYSTEM' are.

I don't doubt you, but I did a bit of *preliminary* research on
the Cygwin Mailing List archives (that List is the canonical venue
for Cygwin support), and wrt EAI_SYSTEM came across the statement
  * FYI, this doesn't seem standard at all:
  *   The Single Unix Specification that Cygwin follows makes no
mention of it
  *
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xns/netdb.h.html
  (http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2003-05/msg00673.html)

And wrt AF_INET6 I came across
  * > get_ifi_info.c: In function `get_ifi_info':
  * > get_ifi_info.c:143: error: `AF_INET6' undeclared (first use
in this function)
  * > get_ifi_info.c:143: error: (Each undeclared identifier is
reported only once
  * > get_ifi_info.c:143: error: for each function it appears in.)
  * > get_ifi_info.c:145: error: invalid application of `sizeof' to
incomplete type
  * > `sockaddr_in6'
  *
  * Cygwin does not support IPv6.
  (http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2006-06/msg00148.html)

>> liboping.c:250: error: invalid application of `sizeof' to
> incomplete type `icmp'
>> liboping.c:319: error: invalid application of `sizeof' to
> incomplete type `icmp6_hdr'

> This (and the missing defines above) sound a lot like there's
> one or more header files missing. Could you put the generated
> `config.log' and `src/config.h' in that web directory please?
> Maybe I can see what the problem is and add a simple fix. (I
> doubt it, though)

I'll gladly do that. It won't be up the moment this message is
(likely) received by the Mailing List, but will be within a day or
so, unless some RL emergency intervenes.

As far as Cygwin's C library implementation goes -- and it seems a
sure thing to me that this is what the issue is here -- it is
"newlib" (which also has a home page based at sourceware.org). Is
it "stripped down" and "minimal" or "lean"? YOU BETCHA :-(.

So, the absence of these contants / defines on Cygwin is
apparently a known issue. Cygwin is always *very appreciative* of
patches :).

   Cheers,
      Soren "somian" Andersen

--
"All unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten."