[liboping] aix patch

Doug MacEachern dougm at hyperic.com
Thu Aug 30 20:41:17 CEST 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 1:28 PM, Florian Forster wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 04:49:53PM -0700, Doug MacEachern wrote:
>> I needed the  attached patch to compile on aix 5.2, works as expected
>> once built.
>
> looks good, I've applied the patch and pushed the change to the
> repository. I'll pack a new tarball soonish..

Great, thanks.

>> I can try to untangle if desired  but prefer to spend as little time
>> on aix as possible :)
>
> Naw, it's okay as it is.. The ICMPv6 type codes cannot change, so this
> is a safe fallback ;) Besides, how could I possibly ask anyone to
> spend
> more time on AIX as absolutely necessary? ;)
>
> Nice to know that that was the only problem, though :)

Indeed, aix is normally much more stubborn.

>> % find /usr/include/ -name "*.h" | xargs grep ICMP6_ | egrep '128|
>> 129'
>
> Just because I used to do it the same way until a colleague showd
> me the
> -r switch: At least the GNU version of `grep ' understand the
> _r_ecursive flag. It's the most useful tool when searching in header
> files :)

I've heard of that, but haven't yet broken my old habbit :)

>> I was going to try hpux next, would you consider a patch that makes
>> v6 optional?
>
> There are still platforms without IPv6 support? I'm mildly shocked..
> Even our friends with their colorfull OS support IPv6.. Both of em,
> now that I come to think of it ;)
>
> Anyway, sure.. My favorite way would be if the configure script could
> check for IPv[46] and set the default of `--enable-ipv4' or
> `--enable-ipv6' to `disabled' if either one is not available..

Yeah I think all modern flavors support it.  But sadly there's still
not yet extinct dinosaurs such as aix 4.3, hpux 11.0, etc., people
are stuck with even years after vendors end-of-life.  I'll probably
hold off on those for now and spend some time on the fun stuff first.

> Regards and thanks again for your patch :)

No problem, thanks for a great library!