[collectd] collectd for embedded, time tag

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Thu Apr 23 11:21:04 CEST 2020

Hi Denys,

right now, the network plugin treats a zero time as an error and won't
pass the metric on to the daemon. The "collectd.org/network" Go package
doesn't appear to do this check.

How does sleeping work on the ESP8266? Could you keep track of the time
spent sleeping and increment the time accordingly, only synchronizing
with an external time source every once in a while?

I would in principle be open to changing (and documenting) the semantics
so that "time == 0" means "fill in time when receiving". We might make
this behavior a config option of the network plugin, though, as it may
create consistency problems when using multiple servers.

Best regards,
—octo

On 2020-04-19 13:19, Denys Fedoryshchenko wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I wrote minimal collectd binary protocol implementation for
> microcontroller ESP8266,
> https://github.com/nuclearcat/collectd-embedded .
> Whole point is to collect data from multiple battery sensors, and
> collectd can save a lot of time, as it is udp and works as "fire and
> forget".
> But one problem remains, chip don't have RTC, so i have to NTP each
> "wake up" to send "time" tag with timestamp.
> Is there any hack to not send time, or send as zero or something, so
> it will be marked by collectd automatically as N/NOW(), as in
> plaintext protocol ?
> I read wiki for binary protocol, checked sources, but quick search
> didn't hinted me at anything.
> Any help appreciated.

collectd – The system statistics collection daemon
Website: http://collectd.org
GitHub:  https://github.com/collectd
Twitter: http://twitter.com/collectd