[collectd] collectd loading configuration on the fly without restarting a service

Niels Tomey niels at ixs.ph
Thu Nov 3 17:37:52 CET 2016

Just a quick thought:

If collectd keeps track of changes in the config directory it can include
detected changes in the next run / interval.

Then if you can load plugins multiple times (I don't know whether that's
possible today), users can just add snippets for each object they want to
add for each plugins.

We use collectd purely for snmp monitoring of external network devices so
it wouldn't be so hard for us to create a separate .conf file for each
device containing just the <Host> block.

Then you could define the config directory in the global config and run a
check alongside the interval for any changes to that directory.

Regards,

Niels