[collectd] SNMP woes

Giovanni Torres giovanni.torres at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 04:22:32 CEST 2015

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 1:33 PM Matt Hite <lists at beatmixed.com> wrote:

> I tried to insert 'Instance "IF-MIB::ifName"' into the <Data> definition
> but that didn't do anything except cause metrics to stop logging. ;)

What version of collectd are you using?  v5.2.2 included better matching of
SNMP subtrees.   I tried something similar to what you are doing on CentOS
6 with collectd 4.10 from the repos and it did not work.

I basically tried to use the hrStorageDescr  as the Instance mappings for
the values of IF-MIB::ifInOctets, where the Instance is in a completely
different table than the values.  This did not work in 4.10 and the version
of collectd is not compiled with debug enabled, so I couldn't debug further.

With v5.4.2, this configuration does work for me. Instead of getting
"if_octets-eth0" for the filename, I get "if_octets-Physical\ memory",
where Physical memory is index .1 in the hrStorageDescr, same as the index
for eth0.

Give that a try, if you are indeed using an older version of collectd.

BTW, the SNMP index number mapping to interfaces can vary across devices
> and also between reboots. (This is pretty standard AFAIK.)

 It's been a while, but on Cisco equipment, you should be able to save the
interface index assignment to NVRAM by running:

    Router(config)# snmp-server ifindex persist

There may be an equivalent for Juniper.

Giovanni