[collectd] Writing to a set of Graphite relays

Tom Throckmorton throck at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 03:26:14 CET 2014

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 2:33 PM, Justin Lloyd <jllwyd at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm looking for a way to have Collectd be able to send to a set of
> Graphite relays. Basically right now I have a three-layered Graphite setup,
> with a layer of four relays (for load distribution and server redundancy)
> sending to a layer of four aggregators that send to a set of carbon-cache
> processes on the cache server. I need my Collectd agents to be able to send
> to any of the four relays but I can't figure out how to accomplish this.

Hi Justin;

If you want clients to truly send to *any* of the relay nodes, then maybe
you want to look at fronting your relays with load-balancing, or maybe even
round-robin DNS?  Each have their benefits and tradeoffs, of course, but in
either case the collectd config is as simple as having a single relay
destination.

> I was hoping the filtering
> <http://collectd.org/documentation/manpages/collectd.conf.5.shtml#filter_configuration> capability
> would help but I don't see a way to specify a relay-specific write_graphite
> plugin per rule.

In that case, would you be sending to *all* of the relays? (vs. any)

-tt