[collectd] Postgresql plugin - database autodiscovery

Jiri Horky jiri.horky at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 09:55:16 CET 2014

Ahoj Honzo,
On 11/08/2014 02:02 AM, Jan Kundrát wrote:
> Hi Jiri,
> I have to admit that we are doing this on just a couple of DBs, but a
> configuration management system sounds like the obvious place of
> implementing such a feature. As a bonus, it's usually easier to
> maintain and hack together than a C plugin. Any particular reason why
> you wanted this to be in collectd itself?
you are right and it is a valid alternative for this as well. The
downside is that it forces you to keep the list of databases for each
instance of postgresql even in cases you don't really want to do that.
For example, where DB administration is job of somebody else, yet you
want to have the metrics in case of performance problems. The list will
inevitably get out of sync soon or later which we want to avoid. We
thought about it in munin's way where auto discovering of various
resources is very convenient feature.

Anyway, if nobody in our team feels like hacking in C with a forecast of
having to maintain the patch in future (i.e. it won't be accepted), we
will probably go with "keep the list of monitored DBs in Puppet" way.

Cheers
Jirka H.