[collectd] Symlinks to Plugins

Ville Koskela vkoskela at groupon.com
Wed Mar 12 07:49:38 CET 2014

Hi,

First I just want to say this is a terrific project! Of course I wish I
could just leave it at that, but I also have a question.

Our deployment system which makes extensive use of symlinks. However, it
seems that plugins cannot be loaded through symlinks.

*Source version 5.4.1; plugin.c; starting at line 970:*

else if (!S_ISREG (statbuf.st_mode))
{
  /* don't follow symlinks */
  WARNING ("plugin_load: %s is not a regular file.",
     filename);
  continue;
}
I have been unable to find an explanation in the FAQ or through Google
(seems all/most of the mailing list archives are now indexed). Would
someone mind elaborating on why symlinks are not followed to load plugins?

Many Thanks,
Ville

--
*Ville Koskela*
Software Engineer

505 5th Ave S, Suite 610, Seattle, WA 98104
Desk: 206-357-3354
Mobile: 206-973-6877
Groupon<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.groupon.com%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzcC80FkwsjyolWTKAH1sZ9yU2t0xg>
 II Grouponworks<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.grouponworks.com%2F&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFrqEzdLBm3Dql75wz1BTY0mA30ov3RnWg>