[collectd] write_kafka does not work for us

Babak Behzad babak at altiscale.com
Wed Jul 30 03:43:13 CEST 2014

Thanks for write_kafka module. I have actually developed a similar plugin
recently and wanted to contribute it soon!

Today I looked at this module to somehow compare and contrast with my code
but it is not working with the following config!

LoadPlugin write_kafka

<Plugin write_kafka>

Property "metadata.broker.list" "<our kafka broker url>:9092"

<Topic "collectd-kafka-4">

</Topic>

</Plugin>

Also, if you specify the Format the way that the man page says, you get the
following error:

collectd(5675,0x7fff7601c310) malloc: *** error for object 0x21: pointer
being freed was not allocated

Abort trap: 6

I solved this problem by putting the default to Command (added ctx->format
= KAFKA_FORMAT_COMMAND;) at line 98. Then, I was able to see that the code
is calling rd_kafka_produce() correctly which is great, but I don't see
anything written on the Kafka side to my topic! Am I missing anything? I am
able to use my own write_kafka to send collectd messages to Kafka, so I am
sure about my Kafka configuration.

Thanks again for doing this. This is very useful,
Babak