[collectd] RFC: Changes to data sources and naming schema

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Tue Sep 24 07:51:24 CEST 2013

Hi Jesse,

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:04:20AM +0930, Jesse Reynolds wrote:
> 2) - I'm slightly confused ... can you give an example of how you'd do
>      a disk utilisation threshold check? either the current absolute
>      value needs to be known, or one at some previous point in time
>      and the current value calculated from that.

The same way you're doing it now, really.

> It can't all be just rate data.

I think here lies the misunderstanding: The proposal is not to "make
everything a rate", but "make everything a gauge". For counters, that
means converting them to a rate. Since nothing changes for gauges at
all, I didn't spent any time discussing them. They are *not* going away
and we do not propose to change partition usage or temperatures to
rates.

Best regards,
—octo
--
collectd – The system statistics collection daemon
Website: http://collectd.org