[collectd] Escaping characters with Python and write_graphite

Kevin O'Connor kjoconnor at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 23:48:10 CET 2013

I'm trying to write a Python plugin to monitor Twemproxy, whose stats are
organized as a logical tree of overall program stats, then twemproxy
instances, then the cache instances backing a given twemproxy instance.
 I'd like to copy that hierarchy directly to Graphite which is where I'm
storing collectd data, but it doesn't seem possible to do as I can't write
'.' directly - they are escaped by write_graphite.

Is there a way to create some type of hierarchy to do what I'm looking for?
 I have a kind of hack job going now with plugin, plugin_instance and
type_instance, but it's not as well organized as it should be.  Could
Chains rewrite some of these or is that performed before the write_plugin
(and then the write_plugin just escapes the characters)?