[collectd] Help with OpenVZ container naming

Matthew Hollick mhollick at lizearle.com
Thu May 2 11:30:36 CEST 2013

Good morning,

I monitor a number of OpenVZ hosts each running a couple of web server instances in guest containers.

I am to install Collectd is installed on each hardware node and use (amongst others) the OpenVZ plugin.

Each of these Collectd installs are pointed at a central Collectd instance which then writes to graphite.

The guest containers are named by function, so although I may have 10 Hardware nodes I will only have 2 distinct container names. In our environment this simplifies administration.

The OpenVZ plugin sets the uses the container name as the hostname. It would appear that if I have servers FOO and BAR each running container BAZ then the central Collectd instance will attempt to write performance data for a host called BAZ twice. Ideally I would like something like hosts FOO-BAZ/ and BAR-BAZ/ or even better FOO/BAZ/ and BAR/BAZ/ with all the counters underneath.

Any suggestions? Or have I misunderstood the functionality?

Thanks,

Matthew.

Work with the environment... think before you print

Liz Earle Naturally Active Skincare
The Green House  Ryde IOW  PO33 1BD

Telephone +44 (0)1983 813400. Fax +44 (0)1983 813401.
Email naturallyactive at lizearle.com  Web www.lizearle.com
Liz Earle Naturally Active Skincare is a trading name of Liz Earle Beauty Co. Limited.
Registered in England No. 3070395 Registered address: Nunn Mills Road, Northampton,  NN1 5PA.