[collectd] What about the scalability for collectd network plugin?

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Wed Mar 6 08:31:27 CET 2013

Hi Benjamin,

On Wed, Mar 06, 2013 at 07:01:29AM +0000, Benjamin Wang (gendwang) wrote:
> Is there any potential bottleneck for this scenario? Do you have any
> experienced data about the collectd performance?

your bottleneck is going to be the I/O performance when writing RRD
files to disk. With decent hardware (6x 15k disks in a RAID-10, e.g.)
you can expect between 100 and 200 updates[0] per second. The "rrdtool"
plugin caches and batches these writes to help matters, or you can use
the external "rrdcached" which decouples config changes and cache
flushes. I suggest you read through the "Inside the RRDtool plugin"
article[1] which describes the problem in detail and tells you which
mechanisms were implemented to cope with them.

In my experience, the network plugin itself is not a bottle neck.

Best regards,
—octo

[0] In this context, one "update" means one read/update/write cycle that
    writes one or more values to a single RRD file.
[1] <https://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Inside_the_RRDtool_plugin>
--
collectd – The system statistics collection daemon
Website: http://collectd.org