[collectd] Proposal to implement the control protocol for collectd!

Benjamin Wang (gendwang) gendwang at cisco.com
Wed Mar 6 04:36:28 CET 2013

Hi,
I am not sure whether this is a right place to discuss the development proposal. If I am wrong, please help me to forward this mail to the right place.
We have a implement proposal as following:

Title:
Control protocol for collectd
Purpose:
To integrate with some other management system flexibly, a control protocol can be implemented. Based on this control protocol, the management system
can query or change the configuration.
Items:

1.      A client can get some basic inventory information from collectd(e.g. Software Version, System Location)

2.      A client can change the destination that the network plugin will send.

3.      A client can update the running configuration of collectd.

Attached please find a draft protocol which can be implemented to support the above requirements.

B.R.
Benjamin Wang