[collectd] Including custom collectd conf without breaking definitions in parent conf

collectd at faxm0dem.org collectd at faxm0dem.org
Fri Jan 11 09:36:28 CET 2013

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 07, 2013 at 01:59:05PM -0500, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> I am hoping somebody here can guide me in the right direction around the
> best way to add custom collectd.conf to an existing Collectd setup.

I may be wrong, but the configuration management is not advanced enough for
what you're trying to do. collectd's config parsing is being handled by
liboconfig, and then passes the plugin's configuration blocks over to the
corresponding plugin. It's then up to the latter to do whatever it wants.
Incidentally, some plugins might overwrite duplicate blocks, some might
merge them, and some might even fail when duplicate blocks or options are
present.

Most people with a lot of clients here use some cfg management software,
e.g. puppet or cfengine to get around this limitation.

Cheers