[collectd] tail plugin - counter resets

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Thu Feb 23 12:54:43 CET 2012

Hi Vincent,

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 12:30:21PM +1100, Vincent McIntyre wrote:
> My question is about the counter and when it gets reset; it's unclear
> to me from the documentation of the Tail plugin. Will the counter be
> reset (to zero?) by a reboot?

Yes, the counter is in-memory and not written to disk. A reboot or a
restart of collectd will reset it to zero.

> Will the logfile being rotated (daily) reset the counter?

No, it doesn't.

> I looked at the other parts of the documentation tree and that seems
> to suggest the counter is reset if there were no addtitions during an
> Interval (ie if the rate was zero for the Interval);

No, that's not the case. The counter is only ever increased by collectd.

Can you tell me what parts of the documentation you were checking, so I
can (try to) clarify the behavior there? Thanks :)

Regards,
—octo
--
collectd – The system statistics collection daemon
Website: http://collectd.org