[collectd] Read plugin accessing data from another plugin

Tomas tomasamot at googlemail.com
Wed Nov 2 21:13:43 CET 2011

Hi,

I am wondering if it is possible for a read plugin to access last data
from another read plugin? This may sound strange but the problem is
quite real.

I am about to write read plugin which retrieves absolute barometric
pressure from a sensor. However at the end I need to log mean sea level
pressure - this can be calculated using absolute pressure, altitude (as
this would be constant it would be a part of the configuration) and
temperature (I know, there are simplified approximations without
considering temperature but I want the more accurate formula). And the
temperature is read by another plugin. Finally I do not want to store
absolute pressure and be forced compute mean pressure every time I
access the data.

Of course I could hack the temperature reading module (onewire) to
expose the data somewhere outside the collectd framework but this would
be ugly. But is there a better way to achieve this?
Or is it possible to somehow misuse for example the notification framework?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers,
Tomas