[collectd] Aggregating sample values

Grzegorz Nosek root at localdomain.pl
Tue May 31 13:25:17 CEST 2011

Hi,

(collectd newbie alert)

I need a collectd setup that receives data over the network (or possibly
a unix socket) very irregularly, aggregates it a'la rrd (as in GAUGE,
COUNTER etc.) and exposes the aggregated data over the network again, so
that on the other end of the network I can stuff the data into rrd files
without risking e.g. NaNs (the updates may be less frequent than the RRD
interval or may be way more often).

Please suggest a sensible setup in this scenario. As I'm only getting my
feet wet with collectd, I'm not sure about the exact data flow.

My idea looks like:
1. source publishes data
2. network plugin receive_thread receives data and ends up in
plugin_dispatch_values that calls *_write for all registered plugins
3. my new plugin reads the data in its *_write method and updates its
aggregates
4. aggregated data is provided in *_read, which gets called periodically
by collectd core. The values provided have some metadata attached (like
in the network plugin) so that they don't get fed back into *_write (or
rather are ignored by it).

Does it make sense? Anything worth improving/doing differently?

Best regards,
  Grzegorz Nosek