[collectd] kernel message SIGCHLD set to SIG_IGN

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Tue May 31 09:51:56 CEST 2011

Hi Mirko,

sorry for coming back to you so late on this issue.

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 09:26:20AM +0100, Mirko Buffoni wrote:
> Here is the /proc/$PID/status of collectd
> SigIgn: 8000000000011000
>
> And here is the /proc/$PID/status of a normal process
> SigIgn: 8000000000001000

The difference here is 0x10000 == 2^(17 - 1), i.e. signal CHLD. This is
unexpected: The signal is set to "ignore" in src/collectd.c before the
init functions are called. The init function of the Exec plugin re-sets
the signal handler, so I would expect the flag to be cleared after the
initialization functions have been run.

Could you maybe use strace(1) to see what the daemon is doing instead?
Something like this should do it:

 # strace -ttt -f -s 1024 -e trace=signal -- collectd $COLLECTD_OPTS

(I didn't actually try this, you may have to adjust if I missed
something.)

Regards,
—octo
GnuPG: 0x0C705A15