[collectd] Graphite/Carbon Writer Plugin

Lindsay Holmwood lindsay at holmwood.id.au
Thu May 12 01:31:35 CEST 2011

On 4 May 2011 04:57, Gregory Szorc <gregory.szorc at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:28 AM, Lindsay Holmwood <lindsay at holmwood.id.au>
> wrote:
>>
>> I'd be very interested to hear how you think Visage compares with
>> Graphite.
>
> I haven't used Visage, but I just watched the video at
> http://auxesis.github.com/visage/ and already think Visage is one of the
> best RRD visualizers. I share your opinion that the graphing portion of RRD
> lacks and I believe your approach of using newer visualizer tools/technology
> without sacrificing the RRD storage format (for better or worse - the
> Graphite people have opinions worth reading on that) is worth pursuing.

That's awesome to hear, really appreciate the feedback!

> Visage and Graphite both have interactive graphs, wildcard/dynamic metrics
> collections/graphing, and the ability to save graphs (all features that I
> don't want to live without once I've used). However, it appears Graphite
> still has an edge when it comes to data transformations. With Graphite, you
> can perform functions on data, such as summing, taking derivatives or
> integrals, calculate moving average, filter min or max values, etc. This is
> all done dynamically, of course. If Visage (or any other RRD front-end)
> could do that, I think it would be on roughly equal ground with Graphite.

Yeah, those Graphite features are really awesome. Unfortunately a lot
of the dev time on Visage has been spent getting the RRD data
rendering consistently. Once the 1.0 release is out later this week, I
should be able to re-focus on the visualisation and overall UX.

Anyhow, thanks again for the feedback!

Lindsay

--
w: http://holmwood.id.au/~lindsay/