[collectd] Graphite/Carbon Writer Plugin

Gregory Szorc gregory.szorc at gmail.com
Tue May 3 20:57:22 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:28 AM, Lindsay Holmwood <lindsay at holmwood.id.au>wrote:

> I'd be very interested to hear how you think Visage compares with Graphite.

I haven't used Visage, but I just watched the video at
http://auxesis.github.com/visage/ and already think Visage is one of the
best RRD visualizers. I share your opinion that the graphing portion of RRD
lacks and I believe your approach of using newer visualizer tools/technology
without sacrificing the RRD storage format (for better or worse - the
Graphite people have opinions worth reading on that) is worth pursuing.

Visage and Graphite both have interactive graphs, wildcard/dynamic metrics
collections/graphing, and the ability to save graphs (all features that I
don't want to live without once I've used). However, it appears Graphite
still has an edge when it comes to data transformations. With Graphite, you
can perform functions on data, such as summing, taking derivatives or
integrals, calculate moving average, filter min or max values, etc. This is
all done dynamically, of course. If Visage (or any other RRD front-end)
could do that, I think it would be on roughly equal ground with Graphite.

Keep up the great work!

Gregory