[collectd] Watchdog for Notifications

Darren Worrall dw at darrenworrall.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 15:14:01 CET 2011

On 2 March 2011 23:19, Aaron Brady <bradya at gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'm considering writing a patch to make notifications happen
>> regardless of state, though perhaps not every <Interval> (that would
>> be quite noisy). Either I'd send it every <configurable factor> *
>> <Interval> seconds or (less pleasant) from a background thread.
>>

> It turns out that "Hits", which exists in 4.10 but appears
> undocumented on the site (but is in the POD docs!) basically does this
> dampening; great! However, it still didn't apply for OKAY states, so
> I've committed this patch to the mainline on github:
>
> https://github.com/insom/collectd/commit/93d2b047626cff96f4ee061730f0c669c6bd9fa8
>
> and I enclose a patch against 4.10.1. This adds the PersistOK config
> option to thresholds. It's off by default, so no change for people who
> don't want it, but for those of us who do, it causes OKAY
> notifications to follow exactly the same rules as FAIL or WARN,
>
> Regards,
>
> Aaron

Full disclosure: I work with Aaron, so consider this "+1" in that context :)

We've now deployed this over a few dozen hosts, and with a small
Python plugin on our server box pushing the notifications into a Stomp
queue, it works really well for us.

Obviously we'd love to see something like this implemented in the
collectd itself - can you offer any feedback on the patch? Is this
functionality desirable for collectd?

Thanks,

Darren