[collectd] df plugin and statfs/statvfs

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Sat Mar 12 09:53:50 CET 2011

Hi Martin,

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 07:07:45PM -0500, Martin B. Smith wrote:
> […] it's much nicer after an NFS maintenance to  have the automounter
> remount than deal with broken static mounts on 300+  machines.

okay, just wanted to make sure there was actually a reasonable use-case,
since I didn't come up with one ;)

> Is there any risk running a statvfs() or statfs() on anything listed
> as  a "MountPoint" before the existing 'for' loop? If you do that,
> anything  that is valid and automountable will suddenly appear in
> /etc/mtab, and  subsequently show up in getmntent() too.

So what you're asking is "will statv?fs() trigger the automount", right?
I don't know the answer to that one. I haven't used automount in ages
since for my personal use simple static mounts proved to be far easier
to maintain.

I guess you can try configuring an automount and trigger the mount.
collectd should pick the new mount point up and call statv?fs()
accordingly. Assuming that the mount is otherwise unused, you should be
able to observe the answer to the above question.

Best regards,
—octo
GnuPG: 0x0C705A15
http://octo.it/