[collectd] apache plugin issue w/collectd 4.8 spokes, collectd 5.0 hub

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Fri Jun 24 09:13:41 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 02:15:53PM +1000, Trent W. Buck wrote:
> If I have a collectd 5.0 "hub" receiving data from collectd 4.8
> "spokes", should that Just Work?

Yes, but you'll have to enable that. Some data-sets have changed in 5.0
(that's one of the reasons it has been declared a new major release): in
the "PreCache" chain, you need to enable the "v5upgrade" target. It'll
take care of "translating" v4 data-sets to v5 data-sets.

> I ask because while most plugins are getting through OK (e.g. process,
> df, etc), there is no evidence of the apache plugin sending any data
> to the hub, nor am I seeing any errors in syslog from either host.

The data types the apache plugin uses, have changed a bit, so this could
be the problem.

> It makes me wonder if the apache plugin has changed substantially,
> where the other plugins haven't, and this is the problem?  Or maybe it
> is because my "hub" collectd was compiled on a host without apache, so
> didn't get something compiled into e.g. its types.db...

The types.db is a static file, it does not depend on any compile time
settings.

You can find more information about migration from v4 to v5 (and having
both versions in your environment working together) in the wiki:
<http://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/V4_to_v5_migration_guide>

HTH,