[collectd] Group hosts logically

Francois-Xavier Bourlet francois-xavier.bourlet at dotcloud.com
Fri Jun 17 20:01:40 CEST 2011

Hi,

Just about the hostname configuration in the collectd.conf:

you can put whatever you want. in fact, plugins will use by default the
hostname furnished by the configuration file, so some could still try to use
the real hostname.

Regards,

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Christian Dervaric <
christian.dervaric at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am already using collectd and really like it. But I have a small issue.
>
> I am running several servers on amazon combined with auto scaling etc so
> the instances partly have very short live times. These servers can be
> grouped logically e.g. by environment (staging, production) or by type
> (tomcat, apache, postgresql) etc.
>
> I already have a self-created graphical interface to combine/aggregate
> different rrds according to hostnames into graphs. What I would like to be
> able is to group these rrds after the logical groups. The most simple idea I
> could come up would be to have the hostname containing the information so I
> can use regular expression in the view to group the rrds after this.
>
> Example:
> live-tomcat-domU-12-39-...
> live-tomcat-domU-43-24-...
> staging-tomcat-domU-98-39-...
>
> This way I could group in the view e.g. after:
> live-tomcat*
> *tomcat*
> staging*
>
> But I guess this is not possible? Or can I just set anything as hostname in
> the collectd.conf? From the documentation it reads like this has to match
> the originial hostname of the machine?
>
> Though having something like tags would be even nicer.
>
> I cannot really do some lookup what kind of machine it is later on in the
> view, as the machines might already be down again.
>
> Have you any recommendations or ideas? Did you do something similar and if
> yes how did you solve this problem? I would be very grateful for any help.
> :)
>
> Regards,
> Christian

François-Xavier Bourlet