[collectd] Group hosts logically

Christian Dervaric christian.dervaric at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 17 18:33:39 CEST 2011

Hi,

I am already using collectd and really like it. But I have a small issue.

I am running several servers on amazon combined with auto scaling etc so
the instances partly have very short live times. These servers can be
grouped logically e.g. by environment (staging, production) or by type
(tomcat, apache, postgresql) etc.

I already have a self-created graphical interface to combine/aggregate
different rrds according to hostnames into graphs. What I would like to
be able is to group these rrds after the logical groups. The most simple
idea I could come up would be to have the hostname containing the
information so I can use regular expression in the view to group the
rrds after this.

Example:
live-tomcat-domU-12-39-...
live-tomcat-domU-43-24-...
staging-tomcat-domU-98-39-...

This way I could group in the view e.g. after:
live-tomcat*
*tomcat*
staging*

But I guess this is not possible? Or can I just set anything as hostname
in the collectd.conf? From the documentation it reads like this has to
match the originial hostname of the machine?

Though having something like tags would be even nicer.

I cannot really do some lookup what kind of machine it is later on in
the view, as the machines might already be down again.

Have you any recommendations or ideas? Did you do something similar and
if yes how did you solve this problem? I would be very grateful for any
help. :)

Regards,
Christian