[collectd] Modbus support

Matt Baker matt at sevenone.com
Thu Jan 6 01:06:34 CET 2011

Hi Octo,

Thankyou for getting back to me so quickly and your help. I will give the updated code a try later today.

The plan in regards to the modbus plugin was to use Collectd as part of a building management system. At the moment we have some airconditioning and power systems connected by modbus to a serial/ethernet gateway unit. This device [0] already allows us to map modbus registers through to snmp which we monitor using Nagios and graph using pnp4nagios. This works well, but we are limited to the number of registers we can map through to snmp.

Instead I was looking at talking direct modbus/tcp to the gateway with collectd, and then use collectd-nagios to send through to Nagios warnings if values fall out of range.

cheers,

Matt

[0] http://www.barix.com/Barionet_100/511/