[collectd] Modbus support

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Wed Jan 5 15:10:23 CET 2011

Hi Matt,

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 09:25:00PM +1030, Matt Baker wrote:
> Initially I tried against the latest unstable version of libmodbus,
> 4.9.2 but found that running configure of collectd did not find the
> modbus libraries unless I used 'force'.

unfortunately, the author of libmodbus breaks backwards compatibility
often, especially in the releases after 2.0.3 which are marked
"experimental". That's why those newer versions will only be supported
when another "stable" version emerges.

The current master branch contains some compatibility code with 2.9.2,
but this will be updated as libmodbus changes. Use 2.0.3 for now to be
safe.

> Switching to libmodbus 2.0.3 and the configure run found everything
> okay, but the compile is resulting in:

A fixed version of the code is available in the Git repository and will
be released as 4.10.3 eventually. The commit fixing this is 491712a [0],
you can download the fixed file from [1].

Just out of curiosity, can you share what you're using the plugin for?

Best regards,
—octo

[0] <https://github.com/octo/collectd/commit/491712ab7dd36eb58fba23942f5edf4b76b50361>
[1] <https://github.com/octo/collectd/raw/491712ab7dd36eb58fba23942f5edf4b76b50361/src/modbus.c>