[collectd] Minimal installation - networked client (too many dependencies)

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Thu Apr 21 10:13:17 CEST 2011

Hi Panders,

On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 09:44:45AM +0200, Pander wrote:
> I would like to install collectd on a server in an extremely minimal way
> where it only sends information to another server that collects it. A
> local rrd is not needed from my perspective. How to go about this?
>
> Do I need to install collecd-core only or also collectd? And what other
> configurations do I need to do?

You should install collectd-core and then manually provide a
collectd.conf (that remindes me that collectd-core should include a
couple of sample configurations).

> On the matter of a minimal installation, I have noticed that this is not
> easy. In Ubuntu, collectd-core would like to install the following
> packages (most of the dependancies are actually from rdd):
[…]

rrdtool is not a strict dependency but rather a recommendation. Install
collectd with 'apt-get --no-install-recommends' (or 'aptitude
--without-recommends').

HTH,