[collectd] Minimal installation - networked client (too many dependencies)

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 21 09:44:45 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I would like to install collectd on a server in an extremely minimal way
where it only sends information to another server that collects it. A
local rrd is not needed from my perspective. How to go about this?

Do I need to install collecd-core only or also collectd? And what other
configurations do I need to do?

On the matter of a minimal installation, I have noticed that this is not
easy. In Ubuntu, collectd-core would like to install the following
packages (most of the dependancies are actually from rdd):
  libdatrie1
  libdbi0
  libltdl7
  librrd4
  rrdtool
  defoma
  libcairo2
  libpango1.0-0
  libpango1.0-common
  libthai-data
  libthai0
  ttf-dejavu
  ttf-dejavu-extra
  x-ttcidfont-conf
  libxcb-render0
  libxcb-shm0
Package collectd is even worse with a much longer list of dependencies.
for sure this can get some optimisation.

Regards,

Pander