[collectd] collectd's network output

Bruno Prémont bonbons at linux-vserver.org
Mon Apr 11 21:33:04 CEST 2011

Hello,

On Mon, 11 April 2011 lanas <lanas at securenet.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I'm looking at collectd for an eventual use.  I am using it with the
> CSV output now as this seems to be the most straightforward to start
> with.  Ultimately, the output would be network and I have a question
> (well, I guess afew ;-) regarding it: which process can recevive
> collectd's networking output ? Does collectd works as both a client and
> a 'server' ? There is seemingly no parameter to control this.

Yes, collectd can both send and receive data with network plugin (see
http://www.collectd.org/wiki/index.php/Plugin:Network for details, the
keyword preceding the IP address/host name determines is sending or
receiving is done.

>   Ah, and what is the 'recipe' to generate the nice graphs shown on the
> web site ?  Were these generated by the utilities in the contrib/
> directory ?

Some of them are certainly (though probably not all of them). Note
that all of them are being graphed with rrdtool (rrdtool or rrdcached
plugins can be used to produce the RRD files that can later be graphed).

Don't hesitate reading the wiki, man and FAQ pages, you will find a lot
of details over there (and the source code under contrib/ for samples of
graphing commands with rrdtool).

Regards,
Bruno