[collectd] Java binding stability

Florian Forster octo at collectd.org
Thu Apr 7 02:35:19 CEST 2011

Hi Alex,

On Wed, Apr 06, 2011 at 04:47:44PM +0300, Alex Baranau wrote:
> We are going to write a plugin in Java for collectd (which is going to
> clean up old files produced by cvs plugin) and wonder if we can rely
> on the java API to be not changed in future to support many versions
> of collectd.

yes, you can.

> More general Q: how often and how dramatically Java API changed over
> last year?

The API has not change in a backwards incompatible way yet. It was last
extended (new DS types) in August 2009. [*]

> Overall, is there any easier way to clean up collectd stats logs
> (outputted e.g. by csv plugin)?

No, not from within collectd. I usually use a cronjob and find(1) do
clean up files after a couple of days of inactivity, for example:

  find /var/lib/collectd/rrd -mtime +42 -exec rm '{}' ';'

> I was looking at Exec plugin to run "cleaning" script using it, […]

I'm not sure collectd is the right place to add such a cleanup
mechanism. If such a machanism is added at all, the only place that
makes sense to me is the plugin creating the files in the first place,
for instance the CSV plugin.

Regards,
—octo

[*] Since the Java plugin exported intervals and other times in
    milliseconds since the beginning, it was not affected by the recent
    version 5 changes.
GnuPG: 0x0C705A15
http://octo.it/