[collectd] A possibly strange use case with *very* irregular updates

Grzegorz Nosek root at localdomain.pl
Wed Apr 6 00:09:38 CEST 2011

Hi!

I'm considering collectd for my unified-everything performance
monitoring needs. A part of my requirements is monitoring database
(MySQL, PostgreSQL) performance _from inside_ (collecting per-database
stats).

My initial plan was to send a packet to collectd (manually, from inside
the database process) at the end of every connection but I expect RRD
would be very unhappy with that (*lots* of updates). So, plan B is to
slap a proxy in between the main collectd and the databases (on the db
servers themselves) to chunk the stream into regular updates suitable
for feeding RRD databases.

Did anybody use collectd that way? Is there any code I could base the
proxy on? Will collectd itself with the Network plugin on both sides
with a custom plugin in the middle do? Is that even the right way to go?

Best regards,
  Grzegorz Nosek