[collectd] Tail plugin "missing" events

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Wed May 19 11:19:56 CEST 2010

Hi Gregory,

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 01:56:56PM +0100, Gregory Giguashvili wrote:
> I'm seeing these low values when displaying the results using "rrdtool
> graph". I've had some time to read through collectd code and rrdtool
> documentation and it looks like I need something like GaugeInc type
> which would sum-up pattern occurrences in the log file and display
> numbers as is without extrapolating them over period of time.

if you're using RRDtool, the number will be aggregated eventually.
Your best bet is to multiply the value by the time difference between
two samples, which should result in roughly the number of lines matched
in the displayed time period.

Reading those graphs is not trivial though, since the number in the
graph will increase with the timespan being displayed as a result of
more and more events being shown in the graph.

Personally I think what you're trying to achieve is best done with a
COUNTER or DERIVE data source, but if should send a patch for a
"GaugeInc" type I don't have any general objections ;)

Regards,
—octo