[collectd] Collecting number of rows in a SNMP table (or similar)

Stian Øvrevåge sovrevage at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 14:07:41 CET 2010

Hi,

I'm new to collectd but I'm really optimistic that it might be a good
solution for our data-gathering needs.

I have not read all the documentation of all plugins etc but I have a
quick question:

I need to count the number of each interface type on our (100+) Cisco
switches and also the number of how many of these are populated by
fiber-optic modules and how many have their links up or down.

Today I do this by some ugly homemade collection scripts but they are
not very scalable when I in the future are gonna count routing tables
and other things.

PS: I don't need a detailed explanation of how to do this, just a Yes
or No, if there indeed is a way, I will (atleast try to) figure it out
for myself :)

Cheers,
Stian Øvrevåge