[collectd] Help With Plugin Exec

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Jun 12 10:42:09 CEST 2010

Hi Ravi,

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 12:01:24PM -0700, Raviprakash Ramanujam wrote:
> I have a python script that needs to run under root privileges […]
> […]
> In order to run the script as root, […]

> <Plugin exec>
>         Exec "nobody:root" "/root/script.py"
> </Plugin>

this configuration will run the script as user "nobody" and group
"root". Running scripts as root is not possible. You can, however, use
"sudo" inside the script to re-gain root privileges if required.

> exec plugin: exec_read_one: error = logfile plugin: fopen (/var/log/collectd.log) failed: Permission denied

You're doing something mighty weird here: Why is the script printing
something about the "logfile plugin" to STDERR? And why is it trying to
access the log file directly?

Regards,
—octo