[collectd] Help With Plugin Exec

Raviprakash Ramanujam ravi87 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 21:01:24 CEST 2010

Hello,

I am having a hard time making use of the Exec plugin on collectd. I have a
python script that needs to run under root privileges and outputs the
following:

*PUTVAL 128.111.55.213/totalsize/countr-5_minute_load interval=10
1276109739.42:1291
*
Basically, I am tracking the total size of a database and sending it to a
server. "1291" here is the actual size value, and I hope the other options
are correct. If I try logging the plugin, I get the following error:

*exec plugin: exec_read_one: error = logfile plugin: fopen
(/var/log/collectd.log) failed: Permission denied*

In order to run the script as root, I followed the instructions here(
http://oldwiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs(2f)Hardware(2f)USRobotics(2f)USR8200.html
).

So what I have done is added this to my collectd.conf file:

*LoadPlugin exec

<Plugin exec>
        Exec "nobody:root" "/root/script.py"
</Plugin>
*

and added the plugin name "totalsize" to *types.db*. Can someone please tell
me what I am missing?

Thanks all,
Ravi