[collectd] Monitoring collectd

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Tue Feb 16 22:49:58 CET 2010

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 04:14:27PM +0200, Andrés J. Díaz wrote:
> > I'm looking for a way to monitor, in collectd server, data coming from
> > multiples servers and make me some kind of alert when some server
> > stops sending UDP packages to collectd. How do you know if some server
> > stops sending  data to collectd server?
>
> You can define a threshold to do this, if you only need a "online"
> threshold, that is
> only send an alert when host down, you can use a dummy threshold like this:
>
> <Threshold>
>   <Plugin "load">
>      WarningMin 0 # dummy threshold
>   </Plugin>
> </Threshold>
>
> So, the threshold never raises, because load never will be lower than 0,
> but when NaN, a FAILURE alert will be dispatched.

Hrm, this might even warrant a new (boolean) config option, which, if
set, will mark a data-set as "interesting" and thus causes a
notification to be dispatched if the value is missing. Of course, your
work-around works as well, but that should rather be considered a bad
hack (no offense ;-)) and it's fairly hard to understand when looking at
the config file.

Any other opinions about that?

Cheers,