[collectd] Proposal: Make collectdmon start several instances of collectd based on configuration file

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Tue Feb 16 22:30:58 CET 2010

Hi Peter,

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 10:45:35AM +0200, Peter Fischer wrote:
> I was playing with the 1wire plugin lately und of cource came about the
> "EXPERIMENTAL!" paragraph.
> I think there would be a relatively simple solution for that:
>  * In every plugin's stanza in collectd.conf an interval can be given. If
> there is none, the global default is being used.
>  * During startup, collectdmon would enumerate every plugin's desired
> interval, group these, and would start in collectd instance for every single
> interval in the group.
> for example:
>  * soil temperature and humidity is measured every 30min
>  * barometric pressure is read every 5 min
>  * ambient temperature and humidity is measured every 2 min
>  * everything else uses the default 10 seconds interval
> in that case collectdmon would start four instances of collectd running with
> different intervals

In fact, support for a similar feature has already been implemented in
collectd. However, currently, there is no way to actually use that since
it cannot be configured so far.

The problem is that we'd probably have to touch any single plugin to be
able to make that configurable, so this is going to be a fair bit of
rather boring coding work. Another issue, we're currently a bit unsure
about is how to reflect this feature in the config file, i.e. what kind
of config option should be introduced. I guess, it's the best to
introduce a config option (e.g. "Interval") for each and every plugin
(as you suggested as well), but I'm not a 100% sure about that yet. Any
comments would be appreciated.

In any way, implementing that in collectdmon sounds totally wrong to me.

Cheers,