[collectd] rrd2flot: Client side canvas based charting of collectd rrd data

Lindsay Holmwood lindsay at holmwood.id.au
Mon Apr 26 14:57:21 CEST 2010

On 20 April 2010 10:43, Richard Wall <richard at the-moon.net> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 12:43 AM, Vincent McIntyre
> <vincent.mcintyre at gmail.com> wrote:
> <snip>
>> Are you aware of 'visage' (http://github.com/auxesis/visage) ?
>> The goals seem similar... Perhaps there's some scope for collaboration
>> or at least
>> making it straightforward to swap between these frontends.
>
> No I hadn't heard of that project but I'll try and contact the author
> -  it would be good to collaborate. He's using gRaphael for chart
> plotting and downloading JSON data from the server.
> I had already thought that it might be nice to download the initial
> data as raw RRD files and then update the charts using smaller JSON
> data requests - or perhaps stream the data directly to the clients by
> adapting Collectd network plugin protocol to web sockets or some other
> Comet system.

The Comet idea is cool, but AFAIK gRaphaël doesn't support live
updates of graphs. Definitely on my wish list though.

You'll have lots of fun serving up the RRDs directly in the browser
and dealing with each plugin's eccentricities client-side. That was
how I originally designed Visage and it brought me a world of pain.
I've recently refactored the client-side code and moved all of that
data crunching to the server, and graphing is *significantly* faster
and easier to understand.

One of the mail goals with Visage is to separate the view (gRaphaël
charts) and models (JSON API), so other people can re-use the data
layer to build their own mashups. rrd2flot sounds like it could
definitely take advantage of Visage's JSON API. :-)

Cheers!
Lindsay

w: http://holmwood.id.au/~lindsay/
t: @auxesis