[collectd] OpenVPN plugin 2.0

Marco Chiappero marco at absence.it
Mon Sep 28 11:22:00 CEST 2009

Florian Forster ha scritto:
> Hi Marco,

Hi Florian,

> thanks again for your patch :) I've changed bits and pieces here and
> there, but overall it looks good :)

Thank you and sorry for my coding style :)

> On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 03:53:22PM +0200, Marco Chiappero wrote:
>> However, due to a bug in the previous code, no compression collection
>> was working and so the new one is not going to brake backward
>> compatibility.
>
> How was that broken and what did you need to do to fix it?

A really minor careless mistakes: the code was looking for a
"pre-compress" match instead of "pre-compress bytes" and so on... so
nobody never collected compression stats. However there was a little bit
of confusion to me, because compression stats are only available when in
single endpoint mode, while the plugin was mainly intended for
multicontext setups (even though man pages don't mention this).
Now man page has to specify nothing about status type and version,
should just say that multiple status files (corrisponding to multiple
openvpn configuration) can be specified and compression stats storing
globally avoided if not of interest.

 >> [New naming schema]
> I'm afraid we need backwards compatibility for this. In the Sensors
> plugin we have a config option called “ExtendedSensorNaming” for this.
> I'd do the same here and introduce a
>
>   ImprovedNamingSchema true|false
>
> option which, to preserve backwardscompatibility, defaults to “false”.

That's fine, I thought the code to be included in a major release due to
this change. On the other side, since the old naming schema is wrong, it
would be better not to let it widespread too much, so the solution you
are proposing looks good to me, maybe suggesting the new schema in the
man pages too. I'll have again a look at the code as soon as possible.

Thank you for your help and attention!

Regards,
Marco